One major reason that Trump won, and a reason why friends of mine are out protesting in the streets, is because he got both sides really mad. He got Republicans and undecided voters so mad enough to go and vote. And he got liberals so mad that they stopped making sense and became the rage wrecks that we love laughing at Tea Party rednecks for being.
So here's a simple 10 point list to examine the next time you feel your rage bubbling. Because thinking societies are made up of thinking people, and it's really hard to think when you're red (or orange) with rage.
- Why you mad, bro?
- Why is that making you mad?
- What are some good things that can come out of the reason you're mad?
- How might you have chosen this unhappiness and how might you be able to change it?
- What can you control that will make you less mad? i.e. What can you do to make yourself a little less mad right now that won’t make you more mad long term?
- What are some long term things you need to change in order to not be mad again?
- What are some things that you are grateful for?
- Is there someone you appreciate that you should call or message?
- Can you make something using your mad (article, art, blog, etc.)?
- Do you realize that it’s okay to be mad, that unhappiness is as much a part of life as happiness, and that so long as you keep taking steps to get out of these feels, eventually you’ll make it out?