I just finished my first freelance business proposal. It took longer than expected but I learned a lot. Here are 11 things:
- Always start as early as possible.
- Don’t just google “How to ____”, google “Samples of ______”
- Structure first.
- Never be afraid to be more clear.
- It can always be simpler.
- Don’t get caught in the trap of what things should look or sound like. If most businesses fail, then why be like most businesses?
- Learn from past successes (and failures), but don’t be afraid to try improving.
- Get a really good editor and partner.
- Everything you write should speak to your target.
- The more you set money aside and focus on why they need your help and why you want to help, the more convincing you will be.
- Every plan has weaknesses, make sure to address yours.
Let me know if you'd like more or have any to share below.